Monday, May 30, 2011

Easter Baskets

I know that Easter has past a while back, but just wanted to upload some info and pics of the Easter basket I made for my nieces and for my friends kids.



Easter is a spring festival that celebrates the central event of the Christian faith: the resurrection of Christ three days after his death by crucifixion. Easter is the oldest Christian holiday and the most important day of the church year. All the Christian movable feasts and the entire liturgical year of worship are arranged around Easter.


The origins of the word "Easter" are not certain, but probably derive from Estre, an Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring. The German word Ostern has the same derivation, but most other languages follow the Greek term used by the early Christians: pascha, from the Hebrew pesach (Passover).


Ostara
A note on the godess of spring, legend has it that Ostara, the godess of Spring, in a fit of anger changed a bird into a bunny. This might explain why the Easter bunny builds a nest and fills it with colored eggs. 


I had some felt and pink gingham laying around the house, so I decided to make an easter basket for my friends' kids and for my nieces. This was such a great project. It's not the hardest thing to make and the final product is adorable. 



This is the finished and packed easter basket for L&S, filled with cookies, candy, bib, German imported painting kit and a tulip and pansy tussie mussie bouquet. 



These baskets were for my nieces. I used a very pretty light green fabric with daisy embroidery on it. The baskets were filled with cookies, marshmallow peeps, jelly belly, chocolate bunny, bubble blowing kit, German imported water color kit and matching pink tops. Below is the picture of the bunny's cotton tail, isn't it SO cute?




Why not make one for your kids or kids you know for next year? They'll love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment