Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My school's show and exhibition


On July 9th and 10th I had my first experience of being involved in a show and exhibition. It was truly one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It's hard to find the adequate words to describe the whole experience and sensation, but it was certainly "C'est Magnifique". I started studying under my designer in March of this year, so to be involved in something this big at this point was a real treat.

After quitting school to peruse floral design, I gradually started to doubt myself in the decision making, kept asking did I make a hasty decision? I was hesitant to tell people that I was studying under a floral designer while all my friends have stable jobs or going abroad to study, moving on with their lives and me left behind. Having my work being displayed in the exhibition was good enough for boosting my confidence and reassuring me that I made the right decision and that I'm on the right path, but hearing how much people loved my work and how they are anticipating to see more of my work was the cherry on top.

My work: The Great Gatsby
For my arrangement I originally wanted to do something deep colored, lush, European with a modern twist. So, I decided to do a great Gatsbyesque with a modern twist. I originally planned to arrange the flowers with deep, dark pinks in a tall, over-sized antique silver candle holder, but I wasn't able to find the candle holder I like... To resolve the problem, I changed the color schemes from dark pink to shades of burgundy and have a very modern vase made to order. The only regret I have with my arrangement is that I wanted to have peonies, but at the last minute, I wasn't able to get them with the crazy weather we've been having and the amaranthus was absolutely fat and short, so I wasn't able to get the effect I wanted...


I'll upload the other students work soon.

This picture below was my practice... Notice the peony and how different the amaranthus is... 

2 comments:

  1. i love your arrangement! the color combinations go beautifully with the vase you had made. i can totally see the great gatsby era in your work. i think you made the right decision to study floral design. i look forward to seeing more of your works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much Stephen! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work too!

    ReplyDelete